Friday, November 10, 2006

Veteran's Day

This morning I went to my son's Veteran's Day program. He's 9 and in the 4th grade. I figured this is the fourth time that I've seen this program. I wasn't all that excited about going...BUT, once I got there, it was a different story.

There's always music. There are always kids getting up and reading their own essays that they worked very hard on. There are always kids reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and other various pieces of Patriotic literature. AND...there are ALWAYS Veterans there. These Veterans are normally family members asked by their 4th grader to come with them as their guests and be honored for the day. Sometimes, they are neighbors (or grandparents of neighbors in our case) that the kids invite.

So, on to my favorite part of the program...the mic gets passed around and each Veteran stands up, gives his name, branch of service, years of service, who he/she was invited by and any stories they might want to share. Every time I listen to this portion of the program, I get a lump in my throat and a swelling in my heart. I am touched by the stories of these Veterans who have given their time and their hearts and souls to serve with the Armed Forces in representation of our great country. Many of these men have seen others die right in front of them. Many have served in multiple conflicts. ALL of them were so proud and honored to be there today in front of the 4th grade class, the staff and all of the family members present.

THEY THANKED US FOR HONORING THEM.

Each and every one of them deserves a great big hug and a "thank you" from all of us. THEY have helped to make and keep this country FREE.

If you see somebody out and about dressed in uniform, take the time to shake their hand and give them a "thank you" and a "job well done". They need to know that we appreciate all of their efforts to keep us free!

HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY!

No comments: