Wednesday, October 25, 2006

This Will Bring a Tear to Your Eye and a Smile To Your Face

My middle child - Grayson, the only boy - is 9 years old and in the 4th grade. He had his book fair yesterday at school. Now he knows that I really don't like to spend the kind of money they charge at the book fair and I usually opt to purchase books elsewhere. I had no idea that he even had his book fair until he got off the bus yesterday.

"Mom, I had book fair today."

"Oh, that's nice...did you take some money?"

"Yes, I grabbed some of my money on the way out this morning."
I must interject with this note - he is a SAVER of money. Anything he makes for doing chores or gets for birthdays and holidays goes right in his piggy bank. We are often borrowing $20 when our till runs dry.

"Did you find anything good?"

"Yeah, I got a computer game and this other book that looked pretty good. Oh, and I got a Diego book for Livvie."
Livvie is his 2-1/2 yr old sister (half-sister) whom he adores.

"Wow, that was nice!"

"Yeah, I figured she would like it. When can I give it to her?"

"How about later when it's a special time?"

"OK."

Later on in the evening we're all getting ready for bed and Livvie asks to read a book. I asked Grayson if maybe he had something special to read to Livvie. He had forgotten all about it. He jumped up off of the couch and said "C'mon Livvie, let me go read you a story." She gave hugs and kisses to everyone and toddled up the steps after him.

He preceded to read her the Diego story PLUS another book, tuck her in and kiss her goodnight. I was so touched by his generosity and his eagerness to make his little sister happy and help me out by putting her to bed for the night.

It's the little things in life...

No comments: