Monday, January 22, 2007

The Beauty of the 2-Hour Delay

What does a 2-hour delay from school mean to you? Get a little more sleep, right? Apparently, not in my house.

My oldest gets up very early to catch her bus at 7:00am. So...I instructed her last night on which web site to pull up to check the school closings. I figure if I arm her with the right tools, she can do it herself and I won't have to get up - right? She comes in my room at 5:45 - she's having trouble finding the website...

I get up, trod downstairs to help her out - BONUS...school is delayed for 2 hours - COOL, let's go back to bed! I decide to set up camp on the couch downstairs.

"BEEP, BEEP"

Exactly 10 minutes later, the youngest starts crying - bad dream.

After I settle down the little one and leave her room, the oldest one's light is on..."What are you doing? You have the chance...go back to bed."...she says, "I can't go back to sleep." I tell her to take advantage of this time and try to go back to sleep. She shuffles back in her room.

Back to the couch...aaahhhhh.

The phone rings - apparently, I'm on an automated call list to let me know that there is a 2 hour delay...THANKS

AAAhhhhhh.

"BEEP, BEEP"

Now I'm hearing heavy footsteps upstairs...trip to the bathroom, back to the bedroom, a little more ruckus and then TROMP, TROMP, TROMP down the stairs. My son. He does nothing quietly. I inform him that they have a 2 hour delay..."go back to bed." TROMP, TROMP, TROMP back up the stairs.

"BEEP, BEEP"...what is that infernal beeping?

The phone rings again - apparently, they feel the need to call us twice on the automated list.

TROMP, TROMP, TROMP..."I can't sleep."

"BEEP, BEEP"

Now all hopes of any more sleep for the morning are completely down the drain.

"BEEP, BEEP" - WHAT IS THAT?

Ah, we find the culprit...the littlest angel was playing with the walkie talkies and left one on last night.

So how's your morning?

No comments: